Friday, October 1, 2010

bird.

One of the most frightening experiences I've had is grocery shopping at the Kroger on Mockingbird and Greenville on a Sunday afternoon. There were people every where. I accidentally bumped into some guys shoulder and between the offensive words my mind refused to translate, I think he may have threatened to sue me. As a result I either do my grocery shopping early in the morning or late at night. Night grocering is much more relaxing than it sounds. The other morning I was selecting vegetables and I kept hearing chirps. Everywhere I went, little chirps followed, reverberating off an endless assortment of colorful boxes. I looked up and a little chi-chi bird was staring down at me from the rafters, seemingly pleading for my help in its quest for escape. 

This bird could only focus on one thing. The sliding doors at the front of the store. If only he looked around. Is there a better place for a bird to be? Every fruit and vegetable at his talon-tips, even birdseed. No offense to Weiden and Kennedy, but could you really get a better nest than cotton candy? 

Everyone narrows their focus on one thing. We miss so much by not looking around, and taking advantage of what we have at our finger tips (thank God we don't have talons). We are all birds in a grocery store, missing the colorful rows of boxes, that in all actuality will clog our arteries and cause diabetes. Scratch that. We are all birds in a Barnes and Noble. Look around. 


Maybe we shouldn't let birds into a bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment