Tuesday, October 26, 2010

perspective.

I was reading National Geographic, or as the popular people call it "nat geo", about seven years ago. In the back they had a question and answer section. I would flip through the magazine, look at the pictures, avoid the words, and then read this half a page Q&A section. The following is a Nat Geo fact:

At the horizon line the human eye can see for 7 miles with good conditions. 

My mom calls me to either A.) rant about politics and then hang up so I cannot share my viewpoint or B.) tell me about a metaphor she recently read. Clearly our conversations are extremely insightful. But here I am after all these years of metaphor conversation, I am using one. Quite a familial milestone I am crossing. 

For a human to see 7 miles, conditions must be good, for a human to reach success, and thusly see a full 7 miles it takes insight and perspective. Some of the most creative and intelligent people have this dose of this perspective. 

In my world politics book there was a map of the early colonization of the world. It adequately illustrates the necessity of perspective.
Its kind of hard to see from this map, but while other countries were scrambling for territory in the formidable years of empire, Denmark had some real perspective. They grabbed up Greenland and Iceland and put them in its little Danish pocket. 

Am I being sarcastic? Maybe a little, with relation to the industry that Denmark gained from this acquisition. But today I am sure that Denmark is hurting. Look at the remarkable people that come from the fair nation of Iceland. 

This is Jonsi, lead singer of Sigur Ros.
Yes, he wears 1.) body/ face glitter 2.) feathers behind his ears and 3.) ribbons off his arms.
He also happens to produce some swell music.

Secondly: Bjork

She has some curious taste. The unforgettable swan dress. Her music is, well, different. 

Thirdly and lastly, Magnús Scheving, who is an author, actor, athlete, and creator of the show Lazy Town.

Everything about this makes me very nervous.

Conclusion: yes perspective is good
no, Denmark may not have had that much in years past
yes, Icelanders have too much "indoors" time during winter
no, do not let your children watch Icelandic TV.


No comments:

Post a Comment